Des Moines — Today Mitt Romney and his undefined economic plan rolled into Iowa. Here are the types of headlines that greeted his campaign when they arrived:
- Bus tour: Democrats rally in Davenport, challenge Romney (QC Times 6/18) http://qctimes.com/news/local/
bus-tour-democrats-rally-in- davenport-challenge-romney/ article_c290545a-b8f3-11e1- 9ab4-0019bb2963f4.html
- Romney Economics Bus Tour (KWQC 6/17) http://mms.tveyes.com/
- Democrats stop ahead of Romney’s visit (WQAD 6/17)http://wqad.com/2012/06/17/
Those headlines follow an even worse weekend of news reports for the Romney campaign in Iowa.
Tough weekend for Mitt Romney:
- Romney Backers Brace For Paul ‘Circus’ In Iowa (NPR 6/14) http://www.npr.org/2012/06/14/
- At Iowa GOP convention, in-fighting continues in national committeeman voting (DMR 6/16) http://blogs.
desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ index.php/2012/06/16/at-iowa- gop-convention-in-fighting- continues-in-national- committeeman-voting/
- Raucus Iowa Convention May Signal What’s To Come (IPR 6/17) http://news.
iowapublicradio.org/post/ raucus-iowa-convention-may- signal-whats-come
- Intrigue afoot at Iowa GOP district conventions tonight (DMR 6/15) http://blogs.
desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ index.php/2012/06/15/intrigue- afoot-at-iowa-gop-district- conventions-tonight/
- Ron Paul Backers Continue to Dominate Iowa’s National Delegate Slate (Iowa Republican 6/16) http://theiowarepublican.com/
2012/ron-paul-backers-%E2% continue-to-dominate-iowa 80%99s-national-delegate- slate/
- Paul delegates bring tension to Iowa GOP convention (Gazette/QC Times/ SCJ/ Iowa Government 6/16) http://thegazette.com/
2012/06/16/paul-delegates- bring-tension-to-iowa-gop- convention/
- Ron Paul backers seek influence at GOP convention (AP 6/17) http://www.google.com/
hostednews/ap/article/ ALeqM5gEJIUwhXCwYCaecKEIk- TR08zLWw?docId= 948796404ee94a6faaf06e9ba73987 5b/
- Tensions rise at Iowa GOP state convention: ‘All right folks, this is not going well’ (DMR 6/16) http://blogs.
desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ index.php/2012/06/16/tensions- rise-at-iowa-gop-state- convention/
- Iowa Republicans elect Paul-heavy slate of delegates (DMR 6/16) http://www.desmoinesregister.
com/article/20120617/NEWS09/ 306170041/Iowa-Republicans- elect-Paul-heavy-slate-of- delegates?nclick_check=1
- Bedrock conservatism, libertarian streak seen in GOP platform planks (DMR 6/16) http://www.
desmoinesregister.com/article/ 20120617/NEWS09/306170043/ Bedrock-conservatism- libertarian-streak-seen-in- GOP-platform-planks?nclick_ check=1
- Prediction: Iowa GOP convention will be “a circus” (Radio Iowa 6/16) http://www.radioiowa.
com/2012/06/16/prediction- iowa-gop-convention-will-be-a- circus/
- Grassley, Schultz call for unity in Iowa GOP (audio) (Radio Iowa 6/16) http://www.radioiowa.com/2012/
- Ron Paul wins the majority of Iowa’s Republican delegates (KWWL 6/17) http://www.kwwl.com/
story/18808312/ron-paul-wins- the-majority-of-iowas- republican-delegates
- Scheffler’s Credibility Called into Question before Republican State Convention (Iowa Republican 6/14) http://theiowarepublican.com/
2012/scheffler%E2%80%99s- credibility-called-in-to- question-before-republican- state-convention/
- Obama birth still an issue in Iowa Republican platform (WCF Courier 6/15) http://wcfcourier.com/news/
local/govt-and-politics/obama- birth-still-an-issue-in-iowa- republican-platform/article_ 149c59e4-4f6c-5aa4-8e19- 29ee8b22fb8b.html
- Paul backers flex muscles at GOP event (WCF Courier 6/17) http://wcfcourier.com/
news/local/paul-backers-flex- muscles-at-gop-event/article_ 23bacb16-4d16-5933-b893- 976d398f5fca.html
“Democrats a Study in Unity”:
- Democrats a study in unity as state platform approved (DMR 6/16) http://www.
desmoinesregister.com/article/ 20120617/NEWS09/306170048/ Democrats-a-study-in-unity-as- state-platform-approved? nclick_check=1
- Iowa nuns to tour states protesting GOP positions (AP 6/18) http://www.wdrb.com/story/
18810713/iowa-nuns-to-tour- states-protesting-gop- positions
- Iowa Democrats hold low-key convention (Gazette/Globe Gazette 6/16) http://thegazette.com/2012/06/
- All’s quiet on Democrats’ convention front (Globe Gazette/QC Times/WCF Courier 6/17) http://wcfcourier.com/
news/local/all-s-quiet-on- democrats-convention-front/ article_49ffbcee-2cdc-5619- a5df-97e46a3ccbb2.html# ixzz1y5KDoz40
- Democrats focus on economy, middle class at convention (QC Times 6/16) http://qctimes.com/news/local/
democrats-focus-on-economy- middle-class-at-convention/ article_899766f8-b820-11e1- 8959-0019bb2963f4.html
- Democratic convention: Bruce Braley says faith, family and freedom are Democratic values (DMR 6/16) http://blogs.
desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ index.php/2012/06/16/bruce- braley-faith-family-and- freedom-are-democratic-values/
- Democratic convention: Dave Loebsack pledges support for Social Security, Medicare (DMR 6/16) http://blogs.
desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ index.php/2012/06/16/ democratic-convention-dave- loebsack-pledges-support-for- social-security-medicare/
- Q&A: The Register’s interview with Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (DMR 6/15) http://blogs.
desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ index.php/2012/06/15/qa-the- registers-interview-with- massachusetts-gov-deval- patrick/
- Patrick says “hard right” tries to “bleach out” country’s optimism (Radio Iowa 6/15) http://www.radioiowa.com/2012/
06/15/patrick-says-hard-right- tries-to-bleach-out-countrys- optimism/
- Democratic platform features wide assortment of progressive priorities (DMR 6/17) http://www.desmoinesregister.
com/article/20120617/NEWS09/ 306170052/Democratic-platform- features-wide-assortment-of- progressive-priorities?nclick_ check=1
- Big weekend ahead for Iowa Democrats (Globe Gazette/WCF Courier 6/14) http://globegazette.
com/news/iowa/big-weekend- ahead-for-iowa-democrats/ article_8eba6a7a-b674-11e1- 9172-001a4bcf887a.html? comment_form=true
But don’t just take the media’s word for it. Read what Iowa Republicans had to say about Mitt Romney:
Iowa State Rep. Phyllis Thede, D-Bettendorf, said Romney doesn’t identify with the people of Iowa. Romney’s recent comment that Obama wants to hire more firefighters, police officers and teachers, but that government needs to cut back, is “absolutely shocking,” she said. “He is detached from the reality of hard-working Iowans.”
The Iowa Republican Party state convention included shouting, booing, and even shoving.
It came as little surprise that by Saturday evening, Ron Paul backers had scored what the Quad City Times called a “sweeping victory in election of GOP delegates.”
Meanwhile, Iowa Democrats over the weekend were characterized as the epitome of party unity – in support of President Obama, Congressional candidates, and a state party platform focused on restoring the middle class.
“I’m a heavy-duty Obama supporter,” said Gary Stodden of Davenport. “I think the Republicans are recycling ideas that have been proven that they don’t work. It’s like they’re trying to retread a blown-out tire and telling you it’s going to be good.”